Don't Know What To Practice?
Here is a list of things on the website, lessons I liked a lot or thought were important. For me it's all of them I guess.
Can any of you guys copy a link of something you thought was interesting and help and put it in the comments? I'll Building on this. This would be especially for new comers to the site or players who don't know what to practice. Pick something from here!
Looking For Something to Study?
- Are you a beginner? Try doing all the lessons in this section: Click here for beginners lessons
- Also if you're a beginner, you can sift through all the beginners links. Click here for everything for beginners.
- Here are a list of all the tunes we’ve studied. Click here and pick a tune and go through all the lessons.
- Click here for a few 30 second lessons. Simple things to keep in mind or work on.
- Click here for a few lessons on Grooves.
- Click here to learn a cool Phrasing Technique that David Uses.
- Have you gone through the David Friedman Book “Dampening and Pedaling”? If you haven’t you should really work hard going through the book and doing each and every etude. It’s the one book that will definitely transform your technique in a hugely popular way! Also we have almost every etude performed by different VW members here on the site. Click here to see all the etudes.
- Click here for an interesting short talk by David Friedman talking about dampening.
- Here’s an little out of sync video about the importance of scales.
- It’s fun to emulate a stride piano player on the vibes. Here’s a section with a bunch of lessons on doing that.
- We did 7 weeks of bebop. Click here for a bunch of great lessons on bebop
- Check out the lessons here with SBYI which means “Stand Behind Your Instrument” They are here.
- We did a series called 8 Measures a day. It’s great. Just that 8 measures a day for you to practice. You have time for 8 measures don’t you? It’s here.
You will need to be a subscriber to see the actual lessons. Subscribing is easy and inexpensive. You will have access to over 1500 lessons
Here's an idea to get into soloing.
Here are a few lessons with a little twist to them for soloing and working on harmony. Give it a shot.
- Here you play a minor 7th chord play a line (in dorian). When you stop you play that note you stopped on and make it a minor 7th of a new chord. Check out the video.
Click here for the Minor 7th improv exercise
- Here is the same exercise with a Maj 7th chord. Click here for the major 7th exercise
- Here you play a chord, play a line when you stop make a decision of what part of the next chord the note you stopped on is. Click here.